Six wrong way crashes near Wilkes-Barre in Northeast Pennsylvania in a little over a year has gotten the attention of the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDot). Twelve vehicle accident fatalities occurred in four of those crashes on Pennsylvania highways. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Safety Administration, wrong way driving crashes result in 300 to 400 people killed each year in the United States on average. Because wrong way crashes often involve head-on high speed crashes, they tend to be more severe, causing serious injuries and fatalities.
This week, PennDot began a $778,000 Safety and Wrong Way Crash Improvement Project in Luzerne and Lackawanna counties. The road safety improvements are expected to be completed by September 2016. The project will include adding additional signage, warning drivers of Wrong Way and Do Not Enter on off-ramps. It will also include upgrading reflectivity of current signs. According to PennDot, the work will occur at non-signalized off ramps on interstates 80, 81, 84 and the Casey Highway. PennDot will also add high friction surface treatments on certain sections of SR 309 in Luzerne County.
Tips to protect yourself from wrong way crashes
- Be sure everything in your vehicle is operating correctly, including horn and lights.
- Always wear your seat belt and be sure everyone in the vehicle is buckled up.
- Be aware of the road around you and scan the road in front of you as far as you can see. Watch for vehicles ahead of you breaking or swerving.
- If you see a wrong way driver coming at you, flash your lights and honk your horn.
- Pull over as quickly and safely as you can, to get out of the path of the wrong way driver.
- Call 911 and report the wrong way driver and the location.
- Alcohol is often a factor in wrong way crashes – Never drink and drive.
The accident attorneys at Distasio, Kowalski & Yelen represent the innocent victims of head on collisions and wrong way crashes near Wilkes-Barre. The Distasio, Kowalski & Yelen law firm has represented hundreds of car, truck and other auto accident victims in Wilkes-Barre and throughout Northeast Pennsylvania.
Call an auto accident lawyer at Distasio, Kowalski & Yelen in Wilkes-Barre today for a free consultation. Call 570-970-5400.