Shoulder Dystocia Lawyer
in Wilkes-Barre, PA
Birth complications, such as shoulder dystocia, can leave a child with injuries that last a lifetime. Shoulder dystocia occurs when one or both of the baby’s shoulders become wedged behind the mother’s pubic bone during delivery. The baby is essentially stuck in the birth canal. Failure to identify and address shoulder dystocia can result in devastating injuries to a baby. This can include severe brain damage and permanent nerve damage among other injuries. Erb’s Palsy is a serious injury that can arise as a result of shoulder dystocia. It is an arm injury that occurs when the brachial plexus, a network of nerves in the shoulder, is damaged. This can cause varying degrees of paralysis in the arm and possibly the child’s trunk. Consulting with a shoulder dystocia lawyer can help you determine the cause of your child's injuries.
Medical Errors Causing Erb’s Palsy & Shoulder Dystocia Injuries
- OB-GYN failing to recognize or adequately correct shoulder dystocia.
- Obstetrician pulling too hard on an infant’s shoulders during a head-first delivery or on feet during a breach delivery.
- Obstetrician improperly positioning the baby’s body during birth.
- The negligent use of forceps or vacuum extractor.
- Delivery doctor placing too much force on the brachial plexus for too long.
- Failure to promptly perform a C-section.
- Obstetrician missing the risk signs of shoulder dystocia, including weight factors or medication factors.
- Obstetricians not monitoring someone with risk factors.
Why hire a shoulder dystocia lawyer?
Obstetricians and other healthcare providers are required to meet the legal standard of reasonable care or they can be held accountable for injuries. Hospitals and healthcare providers are supposed to provide a safe environment during labor and delivery. If your child has suffered a birth injury due to medical negligence, you and your family deserve compensation for the injuries and to provide for a lifetime of care. A vital part of a birth injury case involving shoulder dystocia involves working with medical experts to determine exactly how an injury occurred. A shoulder dystocia lawyer at Distasio, Kowalski & Yelen has the resources and extensive experience you need to fight for just compensation. Call today for a confidential case evaluation.