MICHAEL J. KOWALSKI
Attorney Michael J. Kowalski represents individuals and their families in personal injury matters including cases of medical malpractice, automobile and truck accidents, nursing home negligence, medication errors, defective medical devices, premises liability and psychiatric malpractice. He also counsels and represents clients in insurance bad faith and insurance denial matters. An experienced trial and appellate attorney, Michael has appeared before state and federal courts throughout Pennsylvania on behalf of seriously injured accident and malpractice victims.
In 1997, Michael argued a case of first impression before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania that ultimately changed state law regarding what constitutes the rendering of or failure to render professional health care services. The case, Physicians Insurance Company v. Pistone, et al., has since been cited extensively on that issue. In 2004, Michael was elected to the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association (now known as the Pennsylvania Association for Justice) Board of Governors where he served through 2007. He is also an officer in the Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association and an active member of the Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association Civil Rules Committee.
Michael is a past recipient of the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Outstanding Leadership Award. Most recently, he was included in Philadelphia Magazine’s List of Pennsylvania Super Lawyers for the seventh consecutive year. Michael has been recognized by the National Trial Lawyers as one of the top 100 trial lawyers for 2013 through 2015. Michael was also inducted into the Million Dollar Advocate’s Forum, recognized as one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million dollar and multi-million dollar verdicts, awards and settlements. Fewer than 1% of U.S. trial lawyers are members. Michael is recognized by the Worldwide Registry and has gained inclusion for the 2014 – 2015 edition recognizing executives, professionals and entrepreneurs.
In 2015, Michael received an AV Preeminent Rating by Lexis Nexis Martindale-Hubbell. The AV Preeminent Rating is the pinnacle of professional excellence earned through a strenuous peer review rating process that is managed and monitored by Martindale-Hubbell. The AV Preeminent Rating is the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards.
Michael has also been selected to the 2015 list as a member of the Nation’s Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. NADC is an organization dedicated to promoting the highest standards of legal excellence. Its mission is to objectively recognize the attorneys who elevate the standards of the Bar to provide a benchmark for other lawyers to emulate. Members are thoroughly vetted by a research team, selected by a blue ribbon panel of attorneys with podium status from independently mutual organizations, and approved by a judicial review board as exhibiting virtue in the practice of law. Due to the incredible selectivity of the appointment process, only the top one percent of attorneys in the United States are awarded membership in NADC. This class of advocates consists of the “finest leaders of the legal profession from across the nation”.
Michael is admitted to practice before all of Pennsylvania’s state courts, the United States District for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. He is a 1994 graduate of the Dickinson School of Law, where he was a member of the National Trial Moot Court Team and the Appellate Moot Board. While at Dickinson, Michael received the Governor Arthur H. James Memorial Scholarship for academic achievement. A resident of Moosic, Pennsylvania, Michael enjoys spending time with his family and pursuing numerous outdoor activities including golf and ATV riding.
- Distasio & Kowalski, LLC, Shareholder – September 2011- Present
- Scartelli, Distasio & Kowalski, P.C., Shareholder, 2006-September 2011
- Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, P.C., Associate, 1994-1999; Partner, 1999-2005
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Supreme Court
PROFESSIONAL & COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- American Association for Justice
- Federal Circuit Bar Association Pro Bono Committee, 1996-2000
- Hazleton High School Mock Trial Team, Coach, 1999, 2000
- Lackawanna Bar Association
- Muscular Dystrophy Association, Northeastern Pennsylvania Chapter Black & Blue Ball Committee and Board Member, 2011
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors, 1998-Present; Secretary, 2011
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice, Board of Governors, 2004-2007
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Wilkes-Barre Law & Library Association, Civil Rules Committee,1999-Present
- Recognized by The National Trial Lawyers as members in the Top 100 Trial Lawyers for 2013
- The Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1994
- King’s College, B.A., Summa Cum Laude, 1991
- Medical Malpractice
- Automobile Accidents
- Defective Drugs
- Defective Medical Devices
- Insurance Bad Faith/Insurance Denials
- Nursing Home Negligence
- Premises Liability